Wrist / Hand
Are you suffering from any of the following symptoms which are often linked to wrist and hand pain?
- Painful and aching wrists
- Weakness/heaviness in the lower arm, wrist or hand
- Restricted Movement
- Tingling (paraesthesia)
Physical therapists almost all agree that successfully treating the lower arm, wrist and hand is complex and challenging!
The wrist and hand are extremely complex and can move with more precision than any other region in the body. There are 19 bones in the hand alone, 8 in the wrist and 2 in the forearm. The wrist purpose is to function as a flexible link between the hand and the forearm. Because of its complexity and the frequency and diversity of the actions it is utilised in, the wrist is particularly prone to overuse, misuse and trauma.
Conditions most commonly & successfully treated
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - The carpal tunnel is a channel like structure through the wrist formed from bones and ligaments. Inflammation in this area can irritate the median nerve which passes through the tunnel. This can be painful, and cause numbness and tingling within the hand
- Tendonitis - Means inflammation of the tendons and is typically a repetitive strain injury. It is a common problem that can cause pain and swelling
- Sprain - Wrist sprains are common injuries to the ligaments around the wrist joint. They are either caused by repetitive misuse or trauma and can cause swelling, pain and limit the use of the wrist and hand
- Strain - Wrist strains are also common in the wrist, occurring when the muscles are stressed beyond their comfortable limits, perhaps by overt trauma or repetitive use
- De Quervain’s tenosynovitis - Tenosynovitis is inflammation of the layer of tissue surrounding the tendon. De Quervain’s specifically affects tissue in the thumb causing pain with movement
- Trigger Finger - Prevents smooth movement within the fingers causing "locking" or "catching". It occurs when the tissues surrounding the finger tendons become inflamed and thickened
Did you know?
Chiropractic is covered by all medical insurance companies and most healthcare cash plans! Our clinics are registered with all the major companies. We recommend you book in for a spinal and muscular screening to make the most of your policy